Web 3.0, or the decentralized web, is a term that refers to the use of blockchain technology and decentralized protocols to enable new forms of online interaction and communication.
Web3 technologies allow users to interact with decentralized applications (DApps) and participate in blockchain-based activities on a decentralized peer-to-peer network without needing centralized servers or data centers. However, to access and interact with these DApps and P2P networks, users need a way to connect to decentralized networks from their desktop devices. This is where web3 browser wallet extensions come in.
Web3 Browser Wallet Extensions: Connecting to Decentralized Networks on Desktop Devices
Web3 browser wallet extensions are tools that allow users to interact with decentralized networks and access DApps from their desktop web browsers. These extensions act as a bridge between the user's browser and the decentralized networks, providing a user-friendly interface for managing accounts, interacting with smart contracts, and managing cryptocurrency assets. They also provide a secure way for users to access and interact with DApps and P2P networks on the decentralized web.
In this article, we will take a look at some of the best web3 browser wallet extensions available in 2023, examining their features, user experience, and compatibility with different web browsers. Whether you are new to the Web3 concept or an experienced user, these wallet extensions can provide a convenient and secure way to access decentralized networks from your desktop device.
Top 5 Web3 Browser Extensions To Use in 2023
With over 10 million downloads on the Chrome Web Store, Metamask is by far the most popular Web3 browser wallet extension. It allows users to access decentralized applications (dApps) from regular web browsers on any EVM-compatible blockchain network., thanks to its custom RPC feature. Hence, Metamask can access over 50 blockchain networks.
- Non-custodial wallet, compatible with all EVM-based blockchain networks.
- Charges 0.875% fees for in-app swaps.
- Allows multiple accounts per user.
- Easy-to-use, and also available on mobile.
Phantom facilitates Web3 access via the popular Solana blockchain. Solana is not EVM-compatible; hence, no Solana dApp can be accessed with Metamask, which makes Phantom popular, with over 2 million downloads on the Chrome web store.
This comes as no surprise, given Solana's network heavy activity in NFTs, Play-to-Earn, Move-to-Earn, and other Web3 ecosystems. Hence, the network use is heavily congested.
- Only compatible with the Solana blockchain.
- Also accessible on mobile via Android and iOS.
- Charges 0.85% for in-app swaps.
- Allows users to Stake SOL tokens easily.
XDEFI wallet is another highly-rated multi-chain wallet with over 100,000 downloads on the Chrome web store. It isn't limited to EVM-compatible chains alone, but compatible with 15 popular blockchain networks, including Ethereum, Solana, Polygon, BSC, and many more.
- Multi-chain wallet, compatible with both EVM and non-EVM-based chains.
- Includes a customizable gallery for viewing and managing NFTs.
- Allows free swaps and also cross-chain swaps.
- Charges no fees on all transactions.
Coin98 is another multi-chain wallet that allows users to connect with Web3 dApps via 50+ blockchain networks, including EVM-compatible chains like Ethereum, BNB chain, Arbitrum, etc., and other non/partially EVM-compatible chains like NEAR, Klaytn, Cosmos, etc.
Coin98 wallet is one of the newest kids on the block, but is fast making waves; it boasts of over 50,000 users, and with a near perfect rating.
- Multi-chain wallet, compatible with 13 EVM, partial-EVM, and non-EVM based chains.
- Native DEX integration, helping to optimize fees charged.
- Cross-chain swaps are supported, and no fees are charged for swapping tokens.
- Supports up to 12 languages.
- Also available on mobile via Android and iOS.
Trust wallet, a non-custodial wallet developed by Binance is well renowned for mobile use, having over 58 million mobile wallets. As a result, it has built on that reputation to build a Web wallet extension. However, Trust wallet's seamless mobile experience isn't replicated on desktop, where it has just over 100,000 users, and is continually building on its expansive customer base.
Trust wallet supports both all EVM compatible chains and a few non-EVM compatible chains such as Solana.
- Multi-chain wallet, compatible with all EVM-based chains and a few non-EVM chains.
- Free in-app transactions and swaps.
- Cross-chain swaps are available and are also free (but users may need to pay some additional fees to the network).
Web3 browser wallet extensions are a key tool for accessing decentralized networks and interacting with DApps on the decentralized web.
Whether you intend to play games, participate in DeFi, or use dApps for any other reason, web3 wallet browser extensions provide a convenient and secure way for you to do all of that and more, participating in the growing Web3 ecosystem. The options listed above should do justice to your need; however, you may stumble upon more extensions that better suit your needs for accessing the blockchain-based internet.
For more beginner Tips, as well as detailed guides on Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Technology, do well to visit the Cwallet Blog (Previously CCTIP Blog) and follow our social media communities: